Wednesday, January 10, 2007

snow...snow...snow...snow...snow!

"They say it won't be long before we'll all be there with snow..." -- A short quote from my most favorite winter / christmas song ever "Snow" from White Christmas.

One marvelous advantage to working swing shift, I'm able to be at home all day and watch the snow come down. I think we are approaching 2" for the day which is fairly significant for the Corvallis area. There were winters in Oregon when it wouldn't even snow at all (at the lower elevations).

This time we got an official-looking announcement from the university asking to take all sorts of precautions, like unplugging major electronics before leaving work for the day, etc. Apparently it's supposed to dip below freezing for a few days (15-20 F) which means our town will be covered in sheets of ice. Wheee!

I also received the monthly "newsletter" from my apartment complex. One blurb in this "newsletter" cautioned against walking under trees during inclement weather. To give a little perspective, my complex has the words "hill" and "oak" in its name. Yes, it is COVERED in oak trees and various evergreens, literally! You cannot leave your apartment in some cases without going under a tree. It's impossible to leave the complex without walking and driving under them. In the last wind storm and snow storm we had a LOT of fallen limbs and branches, some on power lines. Did they come through and trim anything afterward? Nope. These kids are smart.

My dirty dishes are CLEAN, hurray! I had a few pots that have been sitting (conveniently hidden in the oven) since new year's eve celebratory food preparation. Yep. Cheese fondue. Amazingly, it didn't look ANY different than when I prepared it...

My goodness the snow is pretty. Time for some hot chocolate and a little reading before I have to get ready for work...

1 comment:

Michael said...

Kids are fun when it's snowing. We may close the library early tonight, Bryan and I are supposed to make that decision if it comes to it. It snowed about 3 inches total so far today and has melted quite a bit off and on so it's really wet out there. Now it's turning into ice since it's supposed to get down to around 20 tonight. I may be walking home tonight instead of driving, my car may not make it up Witham Hill. Hah. :-)