Friday, December 29, 2006

coffee grossness

So I'm currently at work (on break, of course) and just got back from getting a hot beverage from Monroe st. This week, all food-related places are closed on campus. This is considerable since we have a full-service coffee shop right in my library building. I eventually found my way to a Dutch Bros. where there was a line of 9 people and 1 barista. This wasn't too bad, since the barista was pretty fast. However, the barista did sneeze violently (not directly on his hand, but I'm sure some contact was made..) once, and then touched his face or nose 5 more times before preparing my beverage. Perhaps it's just me, but the last time I took the food handler's test it was recommended that you wash your hands after any touching-of-self or bodily expulsion. Carefully watching him prepare my beverage, I observed that he did not come into direct contact with any surfaces that liquid or my lips would touch. I can't say the same for others, but I lucked out. Would it have been rude for me to ask him to wash his hands? The line was long when I got there, and people kept coming in so it stayed at around 9 people in queue the entire time I was there so he was very busy and people were in a hurry...but still?

mood: lethargic and slightly grossed out

2 comments:

Becky said...

haha, thats funny! Maybe if he had some snot dripping from his nose then you could ask him to wash his hands. Or hand him a tissue, he might get the point that way too.

Mike said...

I think that yeah, it would have been rude, but so what?!? Niceness is way overrated as the one defining virtue of western civilization. In this case, being rude, but protecting the health of yourself and others, would probably have been a noble thing (wasn't is C.S. Lewis who pointed out that we moderns are good at the soft virtues, but not so good at the hard virtues?)