Tuesday, March 13, 2007

strange, things that are

Between yesterday and today I happened to see two very unusual and unrelated things. Sometimes this kind of randomness really sticks me in a philosophical sort of mood...

1) Yesterday, I was driving around, trying to find a place to park near the library where I work. There is a metered parking lot just across the street, it's quite close and I usually try and find a space there (free after 5 pm). As I'm looping around, what do I see on the ground between two parked cars? A wooden pepper mill. Yes, the really tall kind, roughly 18-20 inches. Strange? yep.

2) Today, I was walking in to work and was passing several people on their way out of the library building. Walking toward me was a younger man, somewhere between 18-22 I would guess. He was wearing a long black coat. So far, so good. Then I noticed something strange about his right hand. He had a rubber dinosaur puppet on his right hand. He wasn't doing anything at all with the puppet, he was just walking along, swinging his arms a bit like most people do when they walk. Really, why? Strange? yes!

1 comment:

Mike said...

I'm pretty sure that someone could write a decent novel centered around someone going to great lengths to understand two strange, random events like those in your post (in fact, those two would be perfect). Whether, in the end, there was a relation between the two events and the observer (thus reinforcing meaning in the universe) or else they were truly random and the protagonist, in her desperate human need to impose meaning, went slowly mad trying to tie them together, would depend on the author's intent. Either way, a fun read.