Saturday, September 22, 2007

worthless, skunks are

So tonight my dog Gus was sprayed for the second time in as many weeks by a skunk. I let him outside in the backyard after dark and ba-boom, it's suddenly this absolutely horrible eye-watering stench that permeates the entire house. It's not even that "stinky" smell that most folks associate with skunks, this is kind of a stomach-turning burnt-rubber that makes your eye water smell. I'm not sure I can think of anything worse.

The first incident, I tried the tomato product rinse. This was moderately effective, the true ripeness was removed, though you were still instantly aware whenever he would enter the room for the next few days. I made a comment about it on my facebook account and a college friend of mine gave me the MAGICAL recipe:

32 oz. hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 Tbsp Dawn degreasing dish soap (the original "regular" or concentrated formula)

Mix and pour over, or use in a spray bottle, or even dump in your afflicted laundry. You can also spray it on indoor or outdoor surfaces that may have also been savaged by the skunk ick.

Seriously, this recipe saved my life. Oh, and did I mention that on the way to the store I hit a deer? I wouldn't even really consider it an accident, my car wasn't damaged too much, though the deer didn't make it through. Ugh. Just another bit of stress, right? It's enough damage that I will have to file an insurance claim on it. Damnit.

What a crazy night. Oh yeah. This all happened between 1:30 and 2:30 am.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you seen the Mythbusters skunk episode. It's worth watching and I recall they came up with an answer similar to what your friend did.

Dying Dodo said...

Oh man, sounds like a rough night all around. Glad that you have something to remove the skunk smell though. Glad that your car wasn't to terrible damaged. Tell Gus to leave the "black and white cats" alone. :-)

Mike said...

This is why I try to sleep between 1:30 and 2:30. Nothing good EVER happens at that hour! Seriously, though, I'm glad that miracle recipe paid off for you...

LittlestPenguin said...

Aw, your poor dog! That's why my cats stay inside. Too much trouble to get into outside!